Today, I’m going to take you through the steps I recommend for How to: Starting a WordPress blog Blogging can change your life in many ways, and it’s possible to make a lot of money from it, whether you’re a business or an individual. It’s very easy to get started and it can cost just a few dollars or pounds per month! I have negotiated a discount with Bluehost so that you can get started for less expense. With my link you’ll even get your own free blog domain name and you’ll also get free access to Sitebuilder thrown in. Click through and get started as soon as possible, as I don’t know how long they’ll keep these prices this low!
*There are affiliate links in this post, this means that if you choose to purchase, I will get a commission (at no extra cost to you!). Thank you for supporting the work this site takes.
Click to get started with your own wordpress blog, then follow the steps I’ve added below.
If you’re looking for a how to on starting a WordPress blog for less outlay, then you may want to choose Bluehost for your hosting requirements. Not only is Bluehost a good web host, but I have had a very good experience with them.
Blogging is something that I love doing and it’s what has helped me and my clients to make a lot of money. I’m looking forward to further expansion in terms of our businesses and profits in 2018.
There are many reasons to get blogging. Not only does it make it possible to work anywhere in the world, and retain your own preferred working hours, but you can use it to expand an already existing business. You can make it easier for your clients to learn more about your business, services or products. It gives options for growing your business, and overall increase more leads, more sales and more profits.
For individuals, blogging makes it possible to work anywhere in the world, retain a flexible schedule and remove the earning ceiling of what you are getting now.
It’s possible for anybody to make money with a blog, whether you’re doing it for your business or just as a personal hobby or sidekick. Once you start making money, it’s easy to pay off any overhead expenditure such as blog hosting fees.
As one of the most popular and reliable web hosting companies, Bluehost makes it easy to get started with your own blog. In fact, starting a WordPress blog with them can happen for just $3.95 a month. However, you’ll only get this low price through my link. Also, use my link to sign up for 12 months or more and you’ll get all this:
- A free domain name
- Access to Site Builders
- Access to very knowledgeable support staff
- US$150 of advertising credit on Google
- Money back guarantee
I recommend signing up for 12 months or more for your hosting plan from Bluehost. It’s highly affordable, and if you don’t sign up for at least 12 months, you could put yourself at risk or losing traction on your website. If your card expires and the payments aren’t made, then your site will go down. Personally I always buy the 5 year hosting plan as it ensures that my site never goes down, and you make a bigger saving. Otherwise there is also a 24 month hosting plan and a 36 month hosting plan from Bluehost.
Some people think ‘Well I will just get started on wordpress.com or even blogger for free, and learn how to do it there. This is not a good plan, believe me when I tell you, so that you don’t go off down a path that will not serve you well. It’s far better to start off going in the right direction, so that you won’t need to backtrack later on down. This is why I recommend that you start with a proper WordPress blog on Bluehost.
If you want to make money from your blog, whether it’s through your business or just doing some of your own personal blogging, then paying for your hosting, through companies like Bluehost is an absolute MUST. It’s far cheaper than you may think to use Bluehost and you’ll get your free domain. You will then be in position to run any of your own adverts, use your own affiliate links, provide direct advertising etc with your blog on Bluehost. Making any money at all on sites such as Blogger or any other free blogging platform is nigh on impossible. Most potential business or blogging partners don’t want to get involved with blogs on free blogging platforms as they don’t see them as professional as WordPress blogs that are self-hosted. This is another major reason why you should put your blog on Bluehost.
I’ve used free blogging platforms in the past, and I’ve never made any money through them. That in itself is proof enough for me that getting your own self-hosted WordPress blog on Bluehost is the best way to go.
Here are some of the reasons why I suggest you use Bluehost for your WordPress blog, including because they are standing up there with the best of the webhosting providers. Reasons are:
- It’s easy to use it. Yes, it’s easy to create and use your WordPress blog very easily by following the steps below. Bluehost makes it simple to create and get started with your own WordPress blog.
- You’ll have access to the Bluehost web hosting technical support team. They are friendly ahd very helpful.
- As one of the most affordable web hosting companies, you’ll find Bluehost allows you to have your own blog post for a relatively small amount of outlay starting at just $3.95 a month.
- You’ll get a FREE blog domain thrown in as part of the deal.
- Installing and using WordPress through Bluehost is entirely FREE.
- A guarantee is in place, in case you decide you don’t want it. If you sign up and are not sure how to set it up or which plan to pick, then drop me a line and I’ll help you.
- On GoDaddy you will be self-hosted. This means that you can monetise your blog.
- You will come across to your web visitors, readers, businesses, customers as being far more professional if you are self-hosted on Bluehost rather than on Blogspot.
First off, lets head over to Bluehost to get started. There are many web hosting companies out there, but to be honest, Bluehost is one of the best. This is why so many bloggers opt for Bluehost when it comes to getting their blogs online and hosted.
So we can get going with your tutorial on how to: starting a wordpress blog then carry on reading. Remember, if you feel puzzled once you sign up to Bluehost, then no matter what the issue is, just email me and I will help you. I’m here to help and happy to do so, so do reach out to me if I can help.
How to: Starting a WordPress blog hosted by Bluehost
Register your domain name.
You can click here to purchase a domain name and create a blog, then continue following the easy steps that I’ve added below.
The very thing to do in this process of starting a WordPress blog is to consider what the name of your domain could be. This is going to play a part in your overall branding and marketing plan, so it needs some serious consideration.
I opted to use my name for my website. I don’t regret it, as it means that my clients can easily find me. However, if you’re setting up the blog for your business, you may want to use that as the name of your domain. Otherwise, if your blogging is to make money on the side, then your domain name could be related to what you’re blogging about.
It’s easy to get your domain name from Bluehost. To get it, you just need to buy 12 months of Bluehost web hosting, and you’ll get your domain name registration for the first year for free. This makes it well worth signing up as you’ll save yourself quite a bit of money. Doing this also means that you’ll get an overall cheaper monthly price because you’re buying 12 months of hosting, in bulk. Getting the free domain makes it an even better deal. However, by far the best deal is to go for the 36 months of web hosting from Bluehost so that you can get the cheapest possible rate. It actually works out to be around US$142 for three entire years of hosting.
The “Basic” package is most likely all you will need.
- Buy hosting for your blog.
Starting a WordPress blog on Bluehost is far simpler than you may think. However, we’re going to look at the costs of blogging first so that you know exactly what’s you’re signing up for:
- By choosing the ‘Basic’ plan you’ll be getting the best price for the hosting of your blog post. By clicking on my link, you’ll get it for just $3.95 a month (you will need to pay in full upfront) and sign up for 36 month. This is an outstanding price. If you opt to sign up for 24 months, then you will need to pay $3.95 a month. The 12 month plan will mean that you pay $5.45 a month. Paying just $5.45 a month is still very affordable and it’s still a great price to pay. Don’t forget you’ll be getting the free domain with it. If you are not fully committed to blogging and are not fully clear whether blogging is for you, then you might want to go with the 12 months, so that you still get a great price, and you get enough time to make a good go of it. The 12 month plan still comes to only $65 a year, which is an excellent price for hosting. By signing up to the 12 months or more, you will be eligible to receive the free domain name, which will save you money. However, the best value comes from buying the 36 month plan, which works out to be a very good price over the long run.
- To get started, you just need the Basic plan. Don’t bother with the Plus or the Business Pro plans. They are not only more expensive, but you don’t need all that they offer.
- I also like to have a Domain Privacy Protection plan. This is only $0.99 a month and it means that you get to stay private and keep your contact information private.
- Otherwise, there is nothing else that you need from Bluehost. So be sure to uncheck any other extras that are listed.
- Remember, by using my link to sign up, you will get your domain free as long as you buy the 12 month plan or longer hosting plan.
Just to be clear, you need to purchase the 12 month hosting plan or more. If you buy month-to-month it’s far less cost effective. I recommend signing up for the 12 month or more for a variety of reasons. For one, if you sign up for a minimum of 12 months, you’ll get a free domain name, lower pricing and you won’t have to manage an expired website each time the month comes to an end. If for some reason your hosting doesn’t automatically renew, or your card expires, then your website will go down and you could lose traffic, visitors and the traction that you’ve made. Believe me when I say it’s just not an enjoyable thing to happen and you’ll kick yourself. It’s also far more pricey to pay each month. I usually buy mine in 5 year blocks so that I get the best price, and I don’t have to worry about the hosting expiring as I know there is nothing worse. The more years you sign up for, the less you pay.
Blog hosting comes to around $65 a year, or you can go with the $142 for 3 years, which is obviously a great deal. If you buy the 36 month plan you’ll bet an even better rate per month, which is far more cost effective overall.
When you’re ready get started with creating your blog, then here are the steps to follow on how to buy the hosting;
- Go to Bluehost and click the ‘Get Started Now’
- Find the package that you want.
- Enter the domain name that you registered earlier, or you can sign up for a new domain name here.
- Enter both your personal contact information and your payment information.
- You will then be asked for a password. Ensure that you choose a secure one as you want your information to be safe and secure.
Connect your domain and your hosting.
Note: If you purchase your domain through Bluehost, then you can skip this section.
If you have already purchased your domain through another provider, such as Go Daddy, then you will need to connect your domain and your hosting account together. Visit this page on Go Daddy that gives you information on ‘setting nameservers for your domain names’. It says:
“To connect your domain name to your website you’ll need to change your nameservers. How you change your nameservers depends on where your domain is registered and where your website is registered. Use the table below to find the scenario that’s applicable to your situation and follow those instructions.”
Follow their instructions on GoDaddy and Blue Host on how to modify your DNS Nameservers, you should use the entries of : ns1.bluehost.com; ns2.bluehost.com.
Then you’ll need to add your domain from another supplier to your Bluehost web hosting account as an addon. You can find where to do this under ‘Domains’ when you’re logged into your account for Bluehost web hosting and then click in ‘assign’.
Install WordPress on Bluehost.
Okay, we’re here. We’re onto the finale and the point where you will finally get what you want. We are right at the end of our tutorial – How To: Starting a WordPress blog on Bluehost and this is the final piece of the puzzle.
This is far easier than you may have imagined. Fortunately, this setup process is also free of charge.
- When you’ve created your password, you’ll be guided by Bluehost on what needs to be done to create your blog.
- First of all, Bluehost is going to ask you to choose a theme. You can just pick any one or look through and find one that you prefer. You can easily change this later on, so it’s not a bg deal. You might even want to skip this step by scrolling to the bottom. There are lots of free ones too!
- Now click on ‘Start building’
- On the next screen that is displayed, you can choose either ‘Personal’ or ‘Business’. Or you can even opt for ‘I don’t need help’.
YIPPEEE!! You are now the proud owner of your own WordPress blog. Reading this tutorial – How To: Starting a WordPress Blog. You will need to work on it with regards to the design and developing some high-quality content. Bon voyage on your journey in blogging and check my site for any other help that you need.
If you have signed up to Bluehost, but you are not really sure which options to choose, then do feel free to send me an email. I am always happy to help people out, whether it’s picking the plan, pricing or whatever). Don’t hold back.
Here are some further pointers about using your WordPress blog:
- To sign into your WordPress blog, you’ll need to save the login information that you’ll receive in an email. You will receive this email once you have completed the steps in number 4 above. This email is important and contains information on how to access the WordPress blog with your name and your password in addition to what the login URL is for your WordPress. The URL is the web address that is unique to your website/WordPress blog. You will want to store this information in a place that is safe and easy to refer to.
- When you want to add new blog posts, just click on the left-hand side of your account. You need to be logged in to see this. You can also add pages, by clicking on ‘Page’. Pages are the static information on your WordPress blog and the posts are the articles.
- To add an image, you just click on ‘Media’ which is also on the left-hand side.
- To add items to your blog such as your footer, sidebar etc, you just click on ‘Appearance’ and ‘Widgets’.
- If you want to collect email addresses from your visitors so that you can send out newsletters, then I recommend ConvertKit as being a good system with room for growth. They also give you a free trial to get you started.
- If you want to change the theme of the blog and get a new design, then Genesis is one of the most popular with bloggers. It’s the theme I use on my blog and I highly recommend it. Otherwise click on ‘Appearance’ and use the free themes that WordPress supplies. You can easily activate any one you want to have a look at to see if it suits your needs and preferences.
- Once you do this you’ll be onto designing your WordPress blog. Otherwise, if you really would prefer a blog design that is already premade for you, try Beautiful Dawn Designs. They are great and only cost just $45. They are probably the easiest, quickest and most convenient design option.
- I also recommend doing this online course that is focused on how to make money from blogging. It’s called Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing. This shows you exactly what you need to do to make money online, whether you are experienced or brand new to this – you NEED this course.
Are you already a blogger? Do you use Bluehost for your blogging? Share what you’ve learned from blogging and what to avoid! I hope you have enjoyed my blogging tutorial – How to: Starting a WordPress Blog on Bluehost.
Download LinkedIn Fast Start Guide
Download my Business Owners Guide to Getting Started for Powerful LinkedIn Networking. Everything you need to know to get setup properly on LinkedIn.